Monday, March 21, 2011

Happy Durham Weekend

Durham is one of those cities where a lot of people are driving around with "I love Durham" bumper stickers affixed on their cars. I have to be honest I wasn't a huge fan of Durham when I first moved here because it was such a change from the big cities that I had previously lived in. But, I must say that in the past few months I've really come to appreciate the little things that make Durham quirky and fun.

Here are a few shots of my favorite things in Durham this weekend:







1. Beautiful cookie or cupcake stand from Anthropologie (I could live in the store). 2. Spiked pink lemonade on a beautiful Durham Saturday. 3. THE Durham Bull (city mascot) dressed up for the winter. 4. Inspirational notes left on the sink in a restaurant bathroom (thanks Mr. Rogers).

Number 5 deserves a little more story telling. While walking around in downtown Durham, I happened to see a hint of neon pink hidden in the middle of some daffodils in an urban green space. Upon closer inspection, the pink happened to be a little knit hat for a little homemade garden gnome. He was holding a little sign that said, "I'm so glad you found me! I'm here simply to make you smile. I can go home with you, or you can leave me here to find another."

We actually left it there, so Durhamites can go searching for it too! Number 5 reflects the spirit of Durham that I've really grown to love. :)

Hope you have a great Monday!

3 comments:

  1. I am a huge Durham fan (or should I say Duke?) fan (my brother went there.) Glad you're enjoying it there. Wish NJ had a Fosters Market- and do you think you'd ever find a cute handmade gnome around here? So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the gnome! i hope i find one when i'm there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we looked for you and The Husband at the Durham event on Saturday by Fullsteam and Motorco for the "marry durham" party. Someone proposed "if you love Durham so much, then why don't you marry it?" and so the fundraiser event was born. Billy even said he'd be more surprised if we didn't see you. It would have been a perfect addition to your blog!

    ReplyDelete