Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Scrap Exchange

To add to my growing list of things that I love about Durham, 2 weekends ago The Husband and I rifled through the piles and piles of fabric at the semi-annual Scrap Exchange fabric sale. It was in the warehouse next to the main shop. The clientele ranged from grandmothers to young hipsters out to find their next DIY project... 

What I love about The Scrap Exchange is that it is filled with unexpected surprises and items that have been broken down to their component parts (i.e., tubs of buttons from jeans, zippers separated from jackets) which then allows your imagination to run wild to make something useful out of something recycled and reused. 

In my opinion, the spoils were aplenty, but several of the veteran riflers suggested becoming a Scrap Exchange member to get early access to the goods for the next sale in October. I am seriously considering it, however, I think I have enough fabric to last me all year for projects. 



In my excitement, I went home and promptly started and finished my first project. We found a roll of this durable blue canvas material (for $1!) and I instantly thought of making The Husband an apron for our summer grilling adventures (to prevent any more oil stains on perfectly-good shirts). I didn't have a pattern and actually drew a childlike sketch before starting, but I think it turned out decently. 



My favorite part is the large pocket that you may or may not be able to see. I thought sewing pockets would be super hard, but it turned out alright. 



If you live in Durham, you must check out The Scrap Exchange even if it's just to walk around in fascination with all the random objects that one can collect in one store.

Have a good week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment